How to Help Others Help Themselves
1. Emphasize the importance of being organized
- Help them clean out their lockers once a week.
- Check their backpacks with permission, to make sure papers are in folders or given to parents
2. make time each day to meet with your student and check over assignments that are due to help them stay organized
3. Listen - make it a point to talk about other issues aside from schoolwork since outside problems might be the reason for incomplete assignments.
4. Reward - Set up a reward system between you and your student, for when they complete assignments or get good grades,
5. Encourage - be positive and let your student know that you will work with them everyday to help them improve. Not everyday will be perfect but it's the effort you look for first and the positive outcome will eventually follow.