What is the National Junior Honor Society
The National Junior Honor Society is an organization that honors 7th and 8th grade students that represent the ideals of Service, Citizenship, Leadership, and Character. Membership in the Bell Oaks Chapter of the National Junior Honor Society is a privilege earned by hardworking, involved students.
How do I join?
- Members of the NJHS do not apply for membership but are nominated for membership after the 3rd Marking Period based on very strict criteria.
- Students are first selected according to their academic achievement and behavior during the current school year.
- Each student must have at least a 3.75 GPA over the first, second, and third marking period report cards. A 3.75 GPA is generally all A’s and B’s, but may still be attainable with a C.
- Students must also not have any disciplinary actions for behavior (i.e. administrative detentions, in-school or out-of-school suspensions, or Saturday detentions) on their current school year record. Students must also be involved in at least two year-long school and community organizations and/or activities, OR multiple seasonal activities that equal at least two year-long activities. For example, one fall sport plus one spring sport equal one year-long activity. Activities like Chorale or Yearbook equal one year-long activity.
- In April/May, after third marking period report cards are distributed, students nominated for the Bell Oaks’ NJHS will be notified by Mrs. Krapf and be asked to fill out an Activity Form showing involvement in school and community organizations.
- Students must also obtain two teacher recommendations.
- Finally, the Faculty Council and Mrs. Krapf meet at the end of April or beginning of May to discuss each member eligible for membership. After looking at each student in the areas of Service, Citizenship, Leadership, and Character, the final determination of membership is made.
- After the Faculty Council selects the members, a formal induction ceremony is held the third Thursday in May to celebrate and honor the hardworking students.
What can I do to make sure I am nominated for the NJHS?
- Do your best and keep your grades up!
- Be a leader - set an example for your classmates and stay out of trouble!
- Be involved in school and community activities!